Wednesday, April 14, 2010

V is for the Virgin Islands

As my hair whips out behind me the warm air hits my face. I look up and see the sails billowing out in the breeze. I look over the side of the boat and see an amazing sight, a sea turtle is swimming along side us in the sparkling, crystal clear water, you can only find in the Caribbean. As the sun shines in the bright blue sky overhead I take a deep breath of the salty ocean air and I know that this, this is paradise.




So you might be wondering where this amazing "paradise" is.... it is the British Virgin Islands(the BVI) in the Caribbean- the closest to paradise you will ever find in the whole entire world!!!!!! I went there in February for one whole week (with 20 other people)! We stayed on a catamaran (a type of sail boat) for the whole week which was amazing. It was so nice and relaxing to go to sleep and hear the waves against the side of the boat, rocking me to sleep.




The BVI is made up of lots of little Islands. Throughout the week we traveled to a bunch of these islands which was really cool because each island had its own story. For example Norman Island is supposed to be where the story Treasure Island took place! While we were at the different islands my favourite thing to do was to go snorkeling!!!! I saw so many different fish it's like a whole new world, full of colour and new creatures!!!




Even though I had a great time you can't have a fabulous week without something bad happening.... So, one night I decided it would be a good idea to go for a swim in the dark. Well, I mean, we did it the first night and nothing happened. However this time no one wanted to come with me. So after assuring my parents that I would just stay around the back of the boat I jumped off the side. I had been swimming for about 10 minutes when I decided to get back on the boat. If only I had decided that like a minute earlier. I had my hand on the ladder when I felt this really weird stinging sensation on my ankle that was slowly creeping up my leg. SERIOUSLY! Out of the 20 of us I just had to be the one who got stung by a jellyfish. I jumped out of the water and trembling I let everyone see my ankle- I had this really weird red mark all around my ankle:( It was probably one of the scariest and most painful experiences of my life.




Other than my jellyfish incident it was the BEST vacation ever! It was such a great experience. I loved every second of it! The worse part (even worse then the jellyfish) was leaving paradise. You have no idea how hard it is to go from paradise to snow and school!!!!




Life Lesson: your life is never complete without at least one trip to paradise:)



I commented on Aleda's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment